Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Is it science or sin?

As technology advances far beyond the horizon we see it setting on before our eyes we are being faced with the ever growing conscious decisions which for some directly conflict with our morals and ethical beliefs. I have my mindset focused on one particular action which before the advance of technology was not an option. This pressing issue which has become the center of debate both among social groups to in the press rooms is abortion. In my eyes it is wrong, I have developed this viewpoint from the scientific perspective as I always incorporate scientific knowledge into the basis of my decision whenever I decide to make one. I find it blatant now that science or better yet medicine is a discipline which focuses on rectifying issues not the ethical implementations pardoning these feats achieved. Another medical breakthrough readily available in the 21st century is the 4d ultrasound. This allows stunning perception of a fetus in real time. Another obstetrician provided service is various genetic screening tests. From these tests doctors detect abnormalities present in the fetus such as congenital abnormalities present on an ultrasound. With this new ability comes an intriguing question-What should I do if my baby who is unborn will have a problem for the rest of it's life? This question posed by parents with good intentions is sometimes answered with abortion. I often find myself thinking, if there was ever a screen for Moebius prenatally would I ever abort the child? I would never abort the child-no way no how! However, If there was a procedure to fix the Moebius Syndrome I truly do not know what action to pursue. This question intrigues me as I would not desire to see the child afflicted with the disorder but it would not be a negative effect either if it was present. Issues such as these have come to my attention recently especially the scenario surrounding the rectification of a fetus afflicted with Moebius which is why I thought I would share my thoughts in this blog
As my thoughts surrounding this delicate topic come to a close I am left with one ultimate conclusion. Whenever there is a positive it is always combated by a negative effect. This negative effect usually is the clash challenging ones ethical beliefs. Another standpoint of this argument which hasn't been discussed yet is the religious views regarding treatment of a fetus or human being for that matter. All religious people differ in their definitive opinions as they are all unique individuals however, the vast majority of folks unite on major issues such as abortion. Many individuals with religious beliefs state, "Well... god wanted me to do this". For instance, the other day an acquaintance of mine who  just finished her journey through the valley of death with a brain tumor claimed god was the driving force which sustained her will to live and guarder her life through both the surgery and post-operation. I immediately felt animosity towards this woman who was pampered at the UCSF campus. How could one dismiss the surly fascinating delicate hands of the surgeons who removed the tumor and inserted a ventricular shunt. If it was not for these awesome people she would be dead. No questions asked. I guess I may be biased because I am viewing her statement from a medical standpoint but, to me this statement is a direct slap in the face to her respective care providers. Anyhow, other religious believers are more logical when it comes to the prospect of medical intervention. For instance Chuck Smith(he patented the first Calvery Bible College and Church) was diagnosed with appendicitis. After fervent prayer for a week he sought a doctor and when he received the diagnosis of appendicitis he had it removed. When you come across a painful situation it's best to go forth and seek treatment even if you know it's not going to be a walk in the park. 
One last aspect of this colossal; argument is the rights of the fetus itself. How does one know what the fetus wants, given this entity is considered a human. The answer is simple. No one does. When prospective parents encounter these life changing dilemmas there truly is a sense of helplessness in the sense whatever decision they decide upon will never be guaranteed to fit the needs of a fetus. I will now end this blog with a quote from a wise man Stevin Weinberg. The effort to understand the universe is one of the very few things that lifts human life a little above the level of farce, and gives it some of the grace of tragedy". 


No comments:

Post a Comment